Egy svéd és egy magyar mesemondó kalandjai a Majomkirály nyomában
En ungersk och en svensk berättares äventyr i Kung Markattas fotspår

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Monkey Funky - explanation

It's a Hungarian thing.

See, we have this musical version of the Jungle Book, with tons of fun music in it. It has been playing in the theaters for years (decades?), and most people know it by heart. Or parts of it, anyway. And this musical has one song which I simply can't resist posting here. It has a title too, but it's more commonly known as 'Monkey Funky', and guess what, it's the song of the monkey gang.

Here is the link. I hope it works.

(Don't worry about the lyrics, it doesn't make sense in Hungarian either ;)
Or, rather, it does, but it's all a huge play on words, so unless divine inspiration suddenly strikes me, I won't make an attempt at a decent translation.)


Ever since I first read the book, this song has always been connected to the Monkey King for me. I wonder why :) And now we are at the beginning, when Monkey is not even a king yet, and he doesn't have a decent name, but he does have a gang, and oh boy are they having fun feasting and dancing, and breaking stuff.

Hence the music.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks! Exactly the kind of joyful shapeshifting music I can hear from the happy gang of monkeys fooling around at the Flower Fruit Mountain! There is a poem in the text expressing the same feeling of playful anarchy before he jumps through the waterfall into their new cave home, and he is elected as their King.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly why I had this song in mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, that's the second music/sound/poetry connection already, the first was using sound to create the world. I'll keep my eyes open for a chinese cymbal. Or make one using computer magic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doesn't matter what language the show is in, I could easily picture this sung by the monkey chorus.

    ReplyDelete